The Westdale Homeowners Association (WHOA) was established on August 30, 1949. Its present paid and unpaid membership is comprised of approximately 900 single-family dwellings. The WHOA Board of Directors, consisting of many dedicated neighborhood volunteers, is committed to improving the quality of life in the community.
Westdale is bounded within the geographical confines of National Boulevard on the north, Sawtelle Avenue to the east, Palms Avenue to the south, and Inglewood Avenue to the west. [Map]
In 1947, Developer Paul W. Trousdale began construction on the first of approximately 450 single story tract homes based on five floor plans. The tract was a section of the former Stevens Ranch, and extended south of National from Corinth on the east, Granville on the west, Kingsland on the south and the then four-plex apartments along National Boulevard. In the original Trousadale’s advertisements, it was known as “Westdale Village.”
Steven’s Ranch consisted of citrus orchards, celery, bean and corn fields prior to purchase by the developers. After completion of the Trousdale tract, additional tracts were added by other developers. The newest homes were added in the 1960s when the Paul J. Howard Nursery was closed. This brought the number of homes in the area to approximately 900 units.
The price of the homes for the first phase began at $14,500. Prices increased to $15,500 and then to $16,500 as each phase sold out. G.I. loans were available to WW II Vets at 4%. Conventional loans at 6.6% and 7.2% were considered high. Many of the original residents were men and women who had been recently discharged from the armed services.
The homes in the tract were larger than those in surrounding areas which made the homes desirable to buyers. The tree lined streets and harmonious architecture added to the appeal.
Interesting Westdale Factlettes
Do you Remember?
- At Barrington and National was Paul J. Howard’s Flowerland Nursery. It was a huge and beautiful nursery. Mr. Howard had moved his nursery from 3rd and La Brea to this location as he felt there was a great future here in the outskirts of Los Angeles. How right he was! Howard built one of the outstanding nurseries in the country on his 40 fertile acres.
- “Colonial Corners” was the name given to the intersection of National and Barrington when Howard’s Nursery started in 1940.
- Howard also owned the parcel of land across the street where the Whole Foods Market now stands. It was formerly a Westward Ho Market. “Apothecarey Pharmacy” occupied the corner store.
- Across the street was Kay’s Deli, where you could buy the best deli food in town.
On the other corner was The Williamsburg Inn, a fine restaurant, which continued the colonial theme until it became the Orleans Restaurant. Now people line up in the morning for Starbuck’s Coffee.
- Gordon’s Drug Store and Lunch Counter was located at Sawtelle and National. Roy’s Barber shop was next door on National.
- McDonald’s was a Jack Finch’s Flying A Service Station. KFC was Ted’s Bar and Grill which later became Chris and Pitts.
- Marie Callendar’s was Ward’s Hardware. Sooner or later everyone shopped at Ward’s.
- Just south of Palms Boulevard, between Sawtelle and McLaughlin was the CoursWestward Ho Golf Course. Peerless Builders bought and subdivided it and built three bedroom homes on it.
For a more in depth history of “Those Were the Days” please contact: Ethel Oderberg (310) 391-2015.
Acknowledgement: This brief Westdale mini-history was compiled from the historical research of the late WHOA homeowner and realtor, David Braverman. Additional research was done by Ron Wynn. WHOA Board members Brad Pollard, Christine Yoshihara and Gene Manusov also contributed.